R.I.P. MCA

Totally sucks to hear the new that Adam Yauch (aka MCA from the Beastie Boys) passed away today. I remember getting Licensed to Ill on tape as a 13 year old and thinking it was the coolest thing ever. I have an old VHS recording of the Beastie Boys performing on a MTV New Years' Eve show, completely hammered out of their minds. I also went through the "it isn't cool to like the Beastie Boys" phase until I heard Check Your Head - and I was hooked again. The band, and MCA, seemed to actually mature, grow, and expand rather than turning into caricatures of themselves or doing the break-up get back together routine that other bands from the 80s. I can't imagine many people back in '84 thought we'd still be talking about three white rappers from Brooklyn almost 30 years later, but they proved a lot of people wrong. It's a sad day for music.

They also had some of the best videos of all time.



No comments:

Post a Comment